Monday, July 9, 2012

Why do people like these hamsters?

Recently I spot more and more KIA Soul in Shanghai. The drivers are mainly young professionals, probly between age 25 to 32. The car's cute and sporty design is what draws my attention. One, is a very functional compact crossover; second, the car just fits perfectly with the person who drives it.

Then I did a bit research on this car and found out that this is the car that did the very famous, if not too annoying, Hamster campaign in 10' and years after. I remember when firstly saw the commercial I was a bit like "WTF". Like it or not, I definitely remembered the ad. Apparently this commercial was very successful--not only drives awareness but most importantly drives sales in the States, it works for its target audience--the millennials.

From further research, this car entered China in late 2009, and apparently the performance has failed to meet the expectations. Reason? Probly marketing plays a big part. However, though the U.S. commercial could be a bit offensive, I am curious to know why so many people like it? what is the culture elements in this that resonates its target audience? If you haven't seen the commercial, check it out below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment